1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Andy Carroll, Do you rate Him?

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by bazzie89, Apr 14, 2013.

1. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

I have never quite been convinced that Andy Carroll was / is the real deal. He always looked to me to be one of those players who would never quite realise their early hype. Sure, massive expectations and pressure put on him after the 35 million pound transfer to Liverpool but you would think Kenny Dailglish would know something about strikers, wouldn't you?
    Those in the game seem to rate him highly enough and, now he is somewhere near fit again, he has started scoring freely at West Ham.
    Is he a world class player? Should he be in the England squad?

2. Creaky

Creaky Admin

He seemed to play well at Newcastle bt hasn't been the seam since leaving. Porbably should have stayed there for a couple more years and then moved on.

3. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

Well i think maybe the reason he was so efficient at Newcastle was that they built the team around him. At West Ham I think they are looking to do the same. However, at Liverpool he needed to "fit" into the team system and his style would perhaps not suit Liverpool. I tend to think of him as a good old fashioned English striker, same as Malcolm McDonald to name but one. This style doesn't fit comfortably with the modern thinking, the continental style.
    England, on the other hand, can never seem to decide what style they should play, whether to try and move forward or stay in the old traditional mode. They seem to switch at random!!

4. chels

chels Member

I've never really rated him, even when he was scoring goals for Newcastle. He is an old-fashioned centre forward with limited technical ability. He looked awful at Liverpool and he hasn't been great at West Ham either. I was expecting him to score more goals for West Ham because his game suits their style of play.

5. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

Probaby left Newcastle too soon. He was doing very well there, scoring goals and developing. Sadly, a big buy left him with too much pressure on his shoulders to live up to his price tag and that's why he's not doing so good nowadays.

6. krismania

krismania Member

No, why would I hate him? He showed a lot of skills and did a lot for Newcastle, but I am disappointed by him and his performance while he was in Liverpool. They spent so much money on him and had big expectations, but he couldn't provide the return of investment in the end.

7. Lee

Lee Member

I think he is excellent. One of the best potential strikers in our league right now. Give him a few years and he will be knocking them in in freely, ala Alan Shearer.

8. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

I was going to make the same comment about Newcastle building the team around him and Liverpool not, I was also going to say that I think the same applies for Torres.

Carroll is a big physical player, and as an old school defender I like that kind of player, but sadly the physicality in football is slowly being pushed out, it won't be long before you won't even be able to breath near a player without conceding a freekick!

9. chels

chels Member

The question is whether you rate him (think he's good) not hate him, haha.

Carroll was the biggest waste of money in transfer history. I know you could argue Torres was a waste of money but he was still a world class striker and one of the most popular footballers in the world when Chelsea signed him. 35 million for a player like Carroll was absurd.

10. Lee

Lee Member

Did you see him bundle over David de gae vs man utd?

That sort of speed and power makes him valuable to any team. Worth 35 million? Not likely? Excellent striker? Most certainly.