Europa League Winners in the Champions League

kateric99

New Member
34
1
1
0
I know this is quite old news, but I actually couldn't find the newest article in which UEFA members consider the possibility of having the Europa League winners to qualify automatically to the Champions League as an incentive for the big clubs.

A majority of leading clubs want to see the Europa League winners or finalists qualify for the Champions League.
A survey carried out by the European Clubs Association (ECA), which represents 207 of the top clubs in Europe, showed most were satisfied with the current structure of the tournaments but 61% would welcome the extra incentive for the Europa League.
UEFA president Michel Platini has stated that all proposals will be considered, with any changes starting in 2015.
The ECA said 87 member clubs from 36 countries responded to the survey, and that:
:: 75% expressed "satisfaction" or "extreme satisfaction" with the current structure and format of UEFA's club competitions
:: 92% believe the Champions League and the Europa League should continue to exist in parallel
:: 61% would welcome offering the Europa League winner and/or finalists qualifying directly for the Champions League group stage the following season.
Anyway, the possibility is being considered as we speak. What are your thoughts?
 

alfpt

New Member
27
1
1
0
The big problem of the Europa League is that it doesn't give the same cash prizes as the Champions League. The partners are different and the transmission rights are also a lot lower, so that's why the bigger teams don't feel as motivated to play in the Europa League as they would be if they played in the Champions League, some of them just prefer to focus on their domestic leagues and cups. I think what UEFA should really focus in to get the bigger teams interested in the Europa League is to make it more financially attractive.
 

kateric99

New Member
34
1
1
0
alfpt said:
The big problem of the Europa League is that it doesn't give the same cash prizes as the Champions League. The partners are different and the transmission rights are also a lot lower, so that's why the bigger teams don't feel as motivated to play in the Europa League as they would be if they played in the Champions League, some of them just prefer to focus on their domestic leagues and cups. I think what UEFA should really focus in to get the bigger teams interested in the Europa League is to make it more financially attractive.
I understand, but by doing that, you'd be taking away the importance of the Champions League instead.
If both the Europa League and the Champions League were both financially attractive to big clubs, then ending in sixth in the league would be as good as ending in second.
Wouldn'y you agree?
 

donaldplozha

New Member
32
0
0
I am so pro this. This would be real motivation for teams playing in this competition and would make the competition itself much more interesting to the viewers as well.
 

kateric99

New Member
34
1
1
0
donaldplozha said:
I am so pro this. This would be real motivation for teams playing in this competition and would make the competition itself much more interesting to the viewers as well.
My thoughts exactly :)
Although we can't make the Europa League more rewarding financially without disrupting the system, we can surely make it rewarding in terms to prestige and motivation.
Having a guaranteed spot in the Champions League is truly great motivation, and now thinking about the top clubs as well. :)
 

alfpt

New Member
27
1
1
0
kateric99 said:
I understand, but by doing that, you'd be taking away the importance of the Champions League instead.
If both the Europa League and the Champions League were both financially attractive to big clubs, then ending in sixth in the league would be as good as ending in second.
Wouldn'y you agree?
I'm not saying that Europa League and the Champions League should have the same cash prizes, what I'm saying is there is still a big gap between them. I have heard stories that some teams have slacked in the Europa League because going further in the competition would have more costs that going far in the competition but not winning it. Of course the Champions League should give more cash prizes to the clubs, otherwise it would be just like you said, there would be no difference between playing in one or the other.
 

Creaky

Admin
Moderator
297
5
4
18
It's quite a good idea, gives the clubs competing a little more incentive to win the competition.
 

seeya555

New Member
45
0
0
I think it would be a great Idea letting the winners of the EuropaLeague play in the Champion's League. They have already proven that they are among the very best of Europa, even though the level may have been a bit lower. Last year's winner, Atlethico Madrid for example, is a team that I can easily see competing in the Champion's league. Also, sometimes you see "underdogs" like Malaga or Schalke two years ago, proceeding pretty far and that certainly proves that the winner of the Europa League can play in the CL as well.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top