1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Greatest player

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by chels, Apr 16, 2013.

1. chels

chels Member

Who is the greatest player to have played for your club?

My choice would have to be Gianfranco Zola. Many of the 'new' Chelsea fans will say Frank Lampard or Didier Drogba but they were not fit to lace his boots, in my opinion. Zola was a wonderful footballer, better than any we have had in the Abramovich era.

2. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

Guessing that you are quite a youngster chels. You do not seem to be able to look past the modern era of the game. I think if you look back through the history of Chelsea f.c. you will see that there are far worthier candidates from goneby days. Agreed Zola was a class act but not sure he earns the title of Chelsea legend. Perhaps the likes of Osgood and Harris and, if you insist on modern day, as much as I despise him as a human being, John Terry has surely been far more influential over the modern day Chelsea than Zola.
    For me, although many great's have graced our team through the years, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Sir. Trev, even Di Canio, probably the all time greatest would have to be Bobby Moore. Not sure to many would disagree with that.

3. chels

chels Member

I've been a Chelsea fan since 1990, I wasn't around when Osgood and Harris were playing. Zola was voted the greatest ever Chelsea player by Chelsea fans in 2003 so most Chelsea fans would agree, although I think it would be different if there was a vote today.

Chelsea wouldn't be where we are today if it wasn't for Zola. Before Zola we were not winning cups and challenging at the top of the table.