1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Has the violence left the terraces?

Discussion in 'General Football News' started by bazzie89, Mar 29, 2013.

1. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

I used to go to a lot of football matches back in the seventies and eighties. I can well remember the fights on the terraces, the pitch invasions, remember getting chased by a dozen Pompey supporters, crikes, never ran so fast in my life, made Husain Bolt look like a slouch,lol. Police dogs everywhere at these games then, remember them circling us once and me being one of the smaller kept on getting pushed to the outside of the ring, just inches from the snapping jaws of a ruddy great German Shepherd with the coppers laughing, oh, happy days!
    When I go now, less frequently for sure, there doesn't seem to be the same aggro going on but the hate in some of the "supporters" eyes, blimey it's scarey, looks like if they could get to you they would kill you.
    Is it all just better managed now, or do the fights still happen?
    Do you go to games regular and do you witness much fighting on the terraces?

2. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

I was not alive at those times, but I saw videos of hooliganism, different forms of it and was kinda terrified. Didn't like the violence at all. Football is supposed to be a sport and not a boxing arena.

I sometimes go watch the games of Stoke City and there are almost no problems at all between the fans, so, yes, I can say that things have changed for good. :)

3. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Oh it still happens but it has moved from the grounds into organised meet-ups that happen about a mile away from the stadium to make it harder for the police. It may be moving out of the grounds in this country but it is very much spreading across Europe, did anyone see the Montenegro/England game and the Montenegro fans fighting among themselves?

4. seeya555

seeya555 Member

I don't go to games, but I think it depends on which teams play. If you have a game in Germany, say between Schalke and Dortmund, then violence is almost predestined to happen, but if Schalke plays against Nürnberg or so, there probably won't happen a lot. That said, I wish violence wouldn't be a part of the game anymore as it certainly ruins the atmosphere. I heard from families who would love to go watch the games and support their club, but they are too afraid to do so because of the possible violence.

5. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

In the UK if you mention football violence the name Millwall will come up most often, the sad thing is that Millwall are doing more to eradicate not only hooliganism but also racism from football than any other club in the world yet it only takes one moron to shout the N word on camera or throw a coin and all our good work goes in the bin.

6. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

In Europe, violence is still common, mainly in the big games, but in the UK it has clearly slowed down since Hillsborough. That was a very traumatic experience for the football fans and, even though there are still people who start up fights and all that, it has made a mark in the football culture in the UK.

7. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Film makers producing films glorifying football hooliganism isn't helping things, my little nephew is 13 and thinks it is very exciting!

8. Creaky

Creaky Admin

I don't think you will ever get rid of violence in or around football until you tackle the problem in society as a whole, it's not just a football problem,