1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Is goal line technology for the better or worse of modern football ?

Discussion in 'General Football News' started by donaldplozha, Mar 18, 2013.

1. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

I think it will only be a helping factor that will avoid unneeded controversy in big matches and not only.

2. Creaky

Creaky Admin

As long as it doesn't hold up the game it could be a good thing, will help clear up some of the goal decisions there have been recently.

3. weatherman

weatherman Member

I think it's a necessity. When playing football (amateur level) it has happened to me shooting the ball, hitting the crossbar and not being absolutely sure if the ball crossed the goal line, which pissed me off to be honest... So just imagine if you're playing at a professional level, 50 thousand people watching your every move at the stadium, plus millions more at home, you score a wonderful goal, only to be disallowed because the ref thinks the ball didn't cross. That's got to hurt don't you think? As long as it doesn't "damage" the game, I'm all for the introduction of technology.

4. kateric99

kateric99 Member

Implementing such technology can only benefit the sport.
    Referees should be as accurate as they can, we should not limit them to human mistakes.

5. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

I believe that given what is at stake in the modern game and that everyone else can now analyse it to death, except the officials, it is fast becoming a must on "big" decisions. After all if it is just on the goal line, generally speaking, there shouldn't really be, on average, any decisions to be made over the course of most matches. We've all witnessed massive errors by the officials though, in fairness, I did try running the line at a Saturday park game once and vowed never again. Anyone who wants to be a match official must, with all due respect, be one sandwich short of a picnic.

6. AndrewC

AndrewC Member

I think this should have been implemented years ago, I remember watching a football game when I was a child for the World Cup it was Paraguay against someone else and they lost because of a goal that the referee decided had gone in but the goalie disagreed and during the press conference he mentioned that they should invent some kind of technology inside the ball or the line that would help referees with their decisions. It's in Spanish so I won't bother looking for source but this was around 10 years ago or so.

7. daym90

daym90 Member

Honestly, i would add the video system! At least for when judging red cards and penalties... Rugby does it right when it comes to such things! It's so much better to just have someone examine the replay from different angles and say if it's a penalty or not, instead of taking someones rushed decision. When a referee gives a penalty that he wasn't very sure about he tends to make up for his "mistake" by even helping the other team get a penalty too or something like that.

8. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

They have it in Cricket and it does hold up the game. While I am here can I ask what the point of having those extra refs in UEFA games is for? Dodgy goals, challenges and decisions still happen in and around the penalty area as often as before they were introduced.

9. seeya555

seeya555 Member

The goal line technology is good, but I think it should stay limited to that. The referee should not be deciding whether it was a goal or not, but he should still have to decide whether a player is in an offside position or whether a penalty should be taken. Going as far as reviewing every critical decision, like in the NFL is wrong. That would completely halt the momentum of a game and would certainly take away from the atmosphere and emotion of the game. So, Video review: yes, everything else: no.

10. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

I'd be in favour of limiting how many times you can refer to it, like they do in tennis.

11. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

I think it should be implemented and if a proper system is used, such as Hawkeye, it'll take no time to determine whether it was a goal or not, won't hold up the game and give a final and definitive decision.

12. Fancy

Fancy Member

Primarily, the goal line technology, following the reasonable few episodes in the last World Cup, it should be implemented but not as regular as we generally think this would work. GLT should be used when a team doubts about the judges of a referee about a goal score, like the challenges used in tennis where each player has a limited number of challenges they can use through the whole game, this way opens the opportunity for a players to request the referee's judgment, that through all the past about football has been fairly off throughout all types of games either a World Cup final or league game.