1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Leandro Damiao 'likely to leave'

Discussion in 'International Football' started by Overdoze, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Overdoze

Overdoze Member

Internacional's director of football says striker Leandro Damiao, who has been linked with Tottenham, is likely to leave in the summer.

[​IMG]

Spurs are long-term admirers of the 23-year-old, with Internacional having previously claimed they turned down a bid from the Premier League club in the January transfer window.
    The highly-rated Brazil international is also thought to be attracting interest from Italy, with Napoli reportedly targeting him as a potential replacement for Edison Cavani, should he leave at the end of the season.
    Damiao is currently contracted at Internacional until 2017 and reports in Brazil suggest the club would only part with him for upwards of €20million.
    The Brazilian side's director of football, Luis Cesar Souto de Moura, admits it is expected he will be prised away in the summer due to the amount of interest being shown from abroad.
    He told UOL: "Leandro Damiao is indeed the player that is most likely to leave Internacional, especially because foreign clubs are interested.
    "Damiao is the player of the moment, everyone is seeing that. He is a great player, he's very special."

2. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

I don't know why, but I have a strong feeling he is gonna be sold for very big money and he's gonna flop big time. Somewhere around 30-35 million euros and whichever club gets him is gonna have very high expectations, which I feel he's not gonna be able to fulfill.

3. kateric99

kateric99 Member

I parcially agree. We know how different South American leagues are from European top leagues, in terms of competitiveness and 'roughness'.
    Brazilian players are sometimes overhyped because they play in a league that demands a lot less than European ones.
    Let's just hope he thrives in case he really signs :)

4. daym90

daym90 Member

Very true! A lot of South American players can't play at the European level! They just have a different mentality and lack the stamina to endure a full game. In Europe you can't dribble everybody for a few minutes and stop playing for another few minutes, you have to run, create chances, do defensive work ( witch South American players almost never do ). It's hard for them to really make it in Europe, only hard work and a lot of practice helps.

5. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

Brazillian players in the UK are either very good or very bad. I would expect him to do well but not last very long as he has plenty of talent.

6. seeya555

seeya555 Member

Seeing him play for Tottenham would certainly be interesting. Even though they don't need a lot of strike force since they already have both, Defoe and Bale, they would certainly get something from the addition of Leandro Damiao. The question is whether the team can actually afford to get him.