1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Man Utd not making January signings

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Creaky, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Sir Alex Ferguson has stated he will not be making any signings in January.

What do you think of this, is it the right decision?

Source: BBC Sport

2. LALucien

LALucien Member

He's probably right to hold off for now.
    Other clubs as you'll know are making some ridiculous signings or at least speculating on spending their budgets on signings that just aren't necessary.
    If it was me, I'd be looking to invest more in some kind of overseas training camp to learn some off the beaten track techniques and tactics that the other league clubs won't have seen and developing my current players, you know really getting the most out of em and bringing them summit new.

3. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

I believe he would have been making signings just for the sake of it so it was a good call to hold off. The way they are playing now (15 points clear as of writing this) I don't think they have much wrong with their current squad. With Zaha and possibly Bale coming in during the close season I think they might need a defender and they will be set to go.

4. netskee

netskee Member

I was hoping they'd go for James Rodriguez from Porto but I guess they'll wait for the summer. They don't need anyone right now as they have the PL first place well secured for a long time, at least.
    A new rumor emerged today saying that Anderson may return to Porto in the James deal. I wanted Nani more but Anderson could be a good deal, too, if he plays like when he left us.

5. alfpt

alfpt Member

I was a bit disappointed to see Sneijder sign for Galatasaray. I always thought he was going to play for Manchester United, and that he would do wonders for that team, and playing in playing in the Premier League would be the best for him. I also think Manchester United should really try to strength their defence, because Rio Ferdinand is getting older, Vidic is having injury problems and Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Rafael da Silva don't really convince me. But as we see, even thought I don't think they have the best defence in the league, they're still in first place and no opponent in sight to take them the champion trophy this year.

6. Fancy

Fancy Member

I am very satisfied with the strength of the current squad so I see it a wise decision for him to hold off the signings. For him bringing in Dutch striker Robin van Persie and the Japanese midfielder was a great achievement as they have made the team stronger. I do not see it a wise idea for Chelsea who are targeting to splash on Atletico Madrid’s Radamel Falcao Walcott. Liverpool are also going a mess as they want to take Chelsea’s Daniel Sturridge and Tom Ince from Blackpool, I understand our boss is doing the best to stick with what the squad has as the club chase a 20th league title.

7. cole_stanley

cole_stanley Member

Probably. Take some time to see how players do, honestly evaluate a prospect. Trading these days seems to come with a pretty hefty regret price tag, so making a smart decision should take time like this.

8. He's probably still haunted by the signing of Kleberson, Djemba Djemba and Veron. How much money was that down the drain.
    In all honesty, the next two seasons are going to be the ones where UTD will see changes as Scholes and Giggs wont be around by then. Once they go, the heart of 'Fergies UTD' will be gone and any new signings will be filling some big boots. See how the pressure gets to them ( or if they care!)

9. seeya555

seeya555 Member

Well it certainly didn't do them too bad when you look at the league standings. Who knows what they could have achieved in the cup and internationally with some additional players though. I think Sir Alex Ferguson will do something on the transfer market this summer with the possible selling of Rooney.

10. Well, Manchester aren't in the need of signing any player but as the big team they are they will probably sign someone just beacuse they can. Maybe to reinforce the team for the Champions they could use some good signing but i don't think they need it

11. bogdanbogdys

bogdanbogdys Member

Sir Alex Ferguson has a lot of experience. So he'll definitely have some tactic about the transfers. We'll just have to wait and see what happens...