Martin O'Neill: I did not deserve Sunderland sacking

Creaky

Admin
Former Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill says that he deserved to stay at the Stadium of Light until the end of the season after "saving the club" when it was "on its knees".

The Northern Irishman spoke for the first time about his sacking on 30 March to BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy.

Ex-Swindon boss Paolo Di Canio was appointed within 24 hours of O'Neill's exit on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

"I'm still disappointed and frustrated but life goes on," said O'Neill.

Former Celtic and Aston Villa manager O'Neill took over the club he supported as a boy from current Hull City boss Steve Bruce in December 2011.
Source: BBC Sport

alfpt

He did save Sunderland from relegation last season, but he knows his job is all about the results. Sunderland were not getting the results needed to secure promotion and were not playing football that could save them.

deansaliba

He should know by now that this is a results industry, it isn't about what you HAVE done it is about you are doing right now.

Having said that did anyone see how much better they played against Chelsea?

LALucien

deansaliba makes some valid points there.
I'd agree that, it isn't always about where you've been and what you've done.
I'm sure we've all seen managers come from a good record only to perform shockingly at a new club (Not mentioning any names!).
It is all about what he's gonna do now and what he's gonna bring to the table and get the ball rolling (Pun totally intended!)

seeya555

Maybe the management of Sunderland actually expects Di Canio to actually change something about Sunderland's position, but I think it will take some time. O'Neill's sacking was too early in my opinion; as long as he could have prevented relegation, I think he should have stayed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.