1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Owen to retire at end of season

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Creaky, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Source: BBC Sport

2. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

I think he has chosen the right time to hang his boots. His golden times are long gone now and he was just being a shadow of his former self, playing for meaningless clubs, so all in all, I think he's doing the right thing.

Great player nonetheless.

3. jptrey06

jptrey06 Member

Think about if he didn't got injured. He should have gotten a bigger name. 222 goals in 480 games is a great achievement for someone with an injury-ridden career.
    A class player though!

4. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

I think "meaningless clubs" is a bit harsh, Newcastle and Liverpool may not be giants of the world anymore but they are hardly worthless. :p

I can't help wondering what would have happened if he had not become so injury prone, he had so much potential at Liverpool but I think they pushed him too hard.

That goal against Argentina was absolutely top quality. :)

5. LALucien

LALucien Member

I was in the gym yesterday and the news was playing a whole montage of all Owen's best bits. It was quite inspiring to see al that he has done for the game and for the country.
    It'll be sad to see him go really as he's just one of thos blokes you expect to see when you're watchin' an England game you know what I mean. Bit of a National institution like!

6. It's been easy to forget how good Owen was, his recent seasons have been OK at best, but when you look at the stats and goals scored in his younger days, wow really good. Thanks Michael for all the England goals, not so many thanks for when you scored against Everton!

7. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

A friend of mine was wondering why he doesn't go to China or an Asian country for a big payday before retiring, I tried pointing out that he is already a multi-millionaire and not all players are as money-motivated as Drogba and co but it wouldn't filter in so I just said to him "who is goingg to pay him loads of moneey to sit in their treatment room?" :lol:

8. alfpt

alfpt Member

He was really a great forward, justa real shame for all is injury's, otherwise he could have done history. He was my favourite stricker when I was growing up, and I just loved that Liverpool team of the time. I thought his move to Real Madrid was a big mistake, but that's because I'm not the biggest Real Madrid fan. Anyways, he also did good for Newcastle and was decisive at times in Manchester United games, even thought you could clearly see he was in the dying times of his career. I will always remeber his time at Liverpool and his goals, and, this is just personal taste, he is one of my favourite forwards of all time when he was still young.

9. weatherman

weatherman Member

Yeah, I agree. Do you remember that goal he scored against argentina in the 1998 world cup? That was magic right there. It looked like revenge for that goal maradona scored in 1986 :)
    An excellent forward and one of the greats for sure. I'm happy to have seen him play in the prime of his career. A player that gives us so much joy by showing his skill in the field is one we should remember and be thankful for.