Premier League against 2022 World Cup winter switch

Creaky

Admin
The Premier League says it is opposed to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar being switched to winter, despite comments from chairman Sir Dave Richards.

There are concerns over the heat in Qatar in the summer and Richards seemed to back the tournament being moved.

But a Premier League spokesman said its "view remains unchanged".

"We are opposed to a winter World Cup for obvious practical reasons that would impact on all European domestic football," the spokesman added.
Source: BBC Sport

laidbackgraham

Surely it is better for the Premier League to have the winter World Cup and plan for the disruptions, then to have the players come back to the Premier League exhausted and injured from playing in the Qatar summer months?

Creaky

Admin
It's not like this is next year, they have 9 years to prepare for it. Playing in the heat of there summer will be a drain on a lot of players.

deansaliba

Does anyone remember how hot it was for the teams when they played in World Cup 94 in the US? A few countries (Malta being one of them) already have a break so I don't see why we don't scrap the silly international friendlies and instead of having pointless breaks throughout the season just have one big break.

Creaky

Admin
I remember the 94 World Cup being very hot. Have to admit some of the friendlies do seem pointless, especially when they substitute almost the whole team at half time.

kateric99

I still think the whole problem was letting Qatar host the 2022 World Cup in the first place.
We all know it will be terrible to play there. There's no possible excuse to choose that country instead of any other country that applied.
I don't know how they're going to fix this, but I'm not too confident about this.

donaldplozha

Wait and see: Qatar is going to build stadiums with air conditioning. They have the financial power to build several skyscrapers, why wouldn't they do this ?

kateric99

donaldplozha said:
Wait and see: Qatar is going to build stadiums with air conditioning. They have the financial power to build several skyscrapers, why wouldn't they do this ?
Because they said they wouldn't a couple months ago.
I can't quite locate the source right now, I saw it on TV though.
The original plan was to create a device similar to a cloud that would float over the stadium, blocking the sun and misting the pitch.
Then right after they won the nomination, they said it was something impossible to do after all.
It's unbelievable.

alexqueiros

I wouldn't be surprised to see Qatar being stripped of hosting the WC. There has been so much contorversy that I still think it's hard for them to keep it.

kateric99

alexqueiros said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Qatar being stripped of hosting the WC. There has been so much contorversy that I still think it's hard for them to keep it.
You forget that controversy comes percisely from those who have the power to cancel the event.
If they aborted Qatar 2022, it would be the admition of failure, and they surely can't do that, not right now.
Honestly I'm pretty sure we'll see Qatar 2022, even though it'll probably be the crappiest World Cup in history.

Fancy

Qatar is a great country. This country has bought most athletes from my country who are now living flamboyant lives. I think it is able to pull the 2022 FIFA WC without any hitches. Take for instance that South Africa was able to hold the world cup without much strain. I tend to think that most developing nations try too hard to impress other nations that they have the financial might to organize big events even better than first world countries. As for the climatic conditions in Qatar, let us just wait and see what they would do. Of course, they must be having a plan on how they were planning to host the event. They would not bid if they didn’t!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.