1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Premier League against 2022 World Cup winter switch

Discussion in 'Fifa World Cup' started by Creaky, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Source: BBC Sport

2. Surely it is better for the Premier League to have the winter World Cup and plan for the disruptions, then to have the players come back to the Premier League exhausted and injured from playing in the Qatar summer months?

3. Creaky

Creaky Admin

It's not like this is next year, they have 9 years to prepare for it. Playing in the heat of there summer will be a drain on a lot of players.

4. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Does anyone remember how hot it was for the teams when they played in World Cup 94 in the US? A few countries (Malta being one of them) already have a break so I don't see why we don't scrap the silly international friendlies and instead of having pointless breaks throughout the season just have one big break.

5. Creaky

Creaky Admin

I remember the 94 World Cup being very hot. Have to admit some of the friendlies do seem pointless, especially when they substitute almost the whole team at half time.

6. kateric99

kateric99 Member

I still think the whole problem was letting Qatar host the 2022 World Cup in the first place.
    We all know it will be terrible to play there. There's no possible excuse to choose that country instead of any other country that applied.
    I don't know how they're going to fix this, but I'm not too confident about this.

7. Creaky

Creaky Admin

I will certainly make it an interesting World Cup that year.

8. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

Wait and see: Qatar is going to build stadiums with air conditioning. They have the financial power to build several skyscrapers, why wouldn't they do this ?

9. kateric99

kateric99 Member

Because they said they wouldn't a couple months ago.
    I can't quite locate the source right now, I saw it on TV though.
    The original plan was to create a device similar to a cloud that would float over the stadium, blocking the sun and misting the pitch.
    Then right after they won the nomination, they said it was something impossible to do after all.
    It's unbelievable.

10. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see Qatar being stripped of hosting the WC. There has been so much contorversy that I still think it's hard for them to keep it.

11. kateric99

kateric99 Member

You forget that controversy comes percisely from those who have the power to cancel the event.
    If they aborted Qatar 2022, it would be the admition of failure, and they surely can't do that, not right now.
    Honestly I'm pretty sure we'll see Qatar 2022, even though it'll probably be the crappiest World Cup in history.

12. Fancy

Fancy Member

Qatar is a great country. This country has bought most athletes from my country who are now living flamboyant lives. I think it is able to pull the 2022 FIFA WC without any hitches. Take for instance that South Africa was able to hold the world cup without much strain. I tend to think that most developing nations try too hard to impress other nations that they have the financial might to organize big events even better than first world countries. As for the climatic conditions in Qatar, let us just wait and see what they would do. Of course, they must be having a plan on how they were planning to host the event. They would not bid if they didn’t!