Promotion to the Football league

Creaky

Admin
The winner of the Conference is promoted to the football league.

Should more than one team go up as happens in all other leagues?

deansaliba

Since the 2002/2003 season there has been two promotion places up for grabs. The winner goes up and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th placed teams fight it out in a play-off style format for the second place. I think it is better than the old "one person goes up/down" and I am pleased they have scrapped the rule about only letting teams go up if they have a decent ground.

Creaky

Admin
Didn't realise that had been changed, glad the ground rules has also changed.

deansaliba

Creaky said:
Didn't realise that had been changed, glad the ground rules has also changed.
You're not alone, they didn't exactly make a big announcement about it, a lot of us only found out when we noticed the bottom two places in League two were coloured differently instead of one. :lol:

Creaky

Admin
deansaliba said:
You're not alone, they didn't exactly make a big announcement about it, a lot of us only found out when we noticed the bottom two places in League two were coloured differently instead of one. :lol:
Just checked, never noticed that.

cole_stanley

That's how I found out. Makes things a lot more fair, if you ask me.

midfieldDynamo

I'm not sure promotion to league two is the big deal it used to be. Do the clubs get any more money than they did in the conference? Apart from automatic entry into the 1st round of the FA Cup and maybe the odd sky game (which they get in the conference anyway) it doesnt seem to be worth all the extra cost of ground improvements just for the opportunity to play Shrewsbury and Accrington..

deansaliba

midfieldDynamo said:
I'm not sure promotion to league two is the big deal it used to be. Do the clubs get any more money than they did in the conference? Apart from automatic entry into the 1st round of the FA Cup and maybe the odd sky game (which they get in the conference anyway) it doesnt seem to be worth all the extra cost of ground improvements just for the opportunity to play Shrewsbury and Accrington..
Yes they get more money as Sky and the BBC have highlight shows for football league clubs, plus the players turn "full-time" as most clubs in the conference leagues are part-time). I'd rather be playing Shrewsbury and Accrington than Forest Green Rovers and Hinkley Town. :lol:

deebee

I am so glad I ran across this information. I had absolutely no idea. Now I have a much better insight on how everything works and/or is ranked. They need to start making announcements in a timely manner. Information like this shouldn't be left for us to figure out on our own. At least I wasn't the only one who didn't know this. Now I don't feel as silly as before. Thanks for the post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.