1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Promotion to the Football league

Discussion in 'Conference & Non Leagues Forum' started by Creaky, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

The winner of the Conference is promoted to the football league.

Should more than one team go up as happens in all other leagues?

2. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Since the 2002/2003 season there has been two promotion places up for grabs. The winner goes up and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th placed teams fight it out in a play-off style format for the second place. I think it is better than the old "one person goes up/down" and I am pleased they have scrapped the rule about only letting teams go up if they have a decent ground.

3. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Didn't realise that had been changed, glad the ground rules has also changed.

4. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

You're not alone, they didn't exactly make a big announcement about it, a lot of us only found out when we noticed the bottom two places in League two were coloured differently instead of one. :lol:

5. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Just checked, never noticed that.

6. cole_stanley

cole_stanley Member

That's how I found out. Makes things a lot more fair, if you ask me.

7. I'm not sure promotion to league two is the big deal it used to be. Do the clubs get any more money than they did in the conference? Apart from automatic entry into the 1st round of the FA Cup and maybe the odd sky game (which they get in the conference anyway) it doesnt seem to be worth all the extra cost of ground improvements just for the opportunity to play Shrewsbury and Accrington..

8. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Yes they get more money as Sky and the BBC have highlight shows for football league clubs, plus the players turn "full-time" as most clubs in the conference leagues are part-time). I'd rather be playing Shrewsbury and Accrington than Forest Green Rovers and Hinkley Town. :lol:

9. deebee

deebee Member

I am so glad I ran across this information. I had absolutely no idea. Now I have a much better insight on how everything works and/or is ranked. They need to start making announcements in a timely manner. Information like this shouldn't be left for us to figure out on our own. At least I wasn't the only one who didn't know this. Now I don't feel as silly as before. Thanks for the post.