1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

Robin van Persie: Man Utd striker lucky to be alive - Ferguson

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Creaky, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Sir Alex Ferguson says Robin van Persie is "lucky to be alive" after being hit in the head by a ball struck by Ashley Williams in the 1-1 draw with Swansea.

Van Persie was lying on the ground when Williams kicked the ball from a couple of yards away as the referee blew the whistle for a foul.

Ferguson felt Van Persie was fortunate to escape serious injury.

"Robin van Persie is lucky to be alive. It was a disgraceful act from their player," Ferguson told BBC Sport.

"He should be banned by the FA. Robin could have had a broken neck."

Read more: BBC Sport

2. bazzie89

bazzie89 Member

Yes, I saw this on video online, watched it a few times to try and form an opinion. At first I thought Fergie was being a bit melo-dramatic but after watching a few times RVP's head really does take one hell of a jolt and I have to say that, imho, it did look like a moment of pure madness on Williams part. I am sure afterwards he did regret his actions and in the heat of the moment these things happen in sport but it was a little crazy.

3. kateric99

kateric99 Member

I actually felt goosebumps while watching the replay. Alex Ferguson was perhaps exaggerating, but he was definitely lucky he got out of that situation uninjured.
    Things like these are impossible to avoid in football, the only thing we can do is praying that it doesn't happen again.