1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome to BehindTheGoal!

We are a community of football supporters.

If you are already a registered member then you can login here

If you are new to the site then why not join up? It will only take a couple of minutes to register, by doing so all adverts will be removed from the site. You can register here or you can use your Facebook or Twitter account.

San Marino

Discussion in 'Fifa World Cup' started by Creaky, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Creaky

Creaky Admin

After England beat San Marino 8-0 last night was the game worth playing?

Should teams at the level of San Marino be playing in the world cup?

2. kateric99

kateric99 Member

I believe every team should have an equal chance to qualify. We've got the FIFA national teams ranking so we can reward the best teams and penalize the worst teams.
    That's why teams like San Marino and Liechtenstein are usually drawn last and have to face the toughest teams.
    San Marino is not even trying at this point, but what are we going to do, eh? :)

3. Creaky

Creaky Admin

Agreed every team should have the chance to qualify, wouldn't be able to call it the World Cup otherwise. Perhaps teams at that level should have their own qualifying group, may give them more of a chance of qualifying.

4. kateric99

kateric99 Member

I agree to some extent, because if we made an alternative qualifying route just for the "underdogs" we wouldn't be able to say the World Cup was fair, because in that case some teams would just enter the tournament because they were weak, and not because they fought for it.
    I'll give you a nice example of that: the Euro Cup is much more competitive than the World Cup, and you know why? Simply because Europe is the continent that has the largest quantity of good teams. And since the World Cup limits each continent's participations, we never get to see "the best teams in the world", but rather "the best teams of each continent".

5. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

A sort of "pre-qualifying" would be a good idea, but I think that all nations have the right to fight with the bigger teams. It's also one of the few chances the locals get to see great players.

6. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

Every national team should have a right to compete. I used to feel sorry for the national teams who competed in the Oceania
    section because it was nearly always Australia winning the group followed by New Zealand, the other countries never stood a chance but now Australia has joined the Asian group it is a lot more competitive.

7. donaldplozha

donaldplozha Member

Even if you would be able to put the weaker national teams like San Marino, Luxembourg, Faroe Islands, Malta, Andorra, Lichtenstein, etc. in a special group, the stronger nations would complain as some of them would have to play stronger opponents. If a team has the capability to beat good teams, it deserves to go to the World Cup, which is supposed to be a competition containing the strongest national football teams.

8. seeya555

seeya555 Member

I once heard the concept of, instead of making it a two-year ongoing qualification, they could make one tournament, similar to the actual World Cup, in the summer before, where the best teams qualify for the next year. Then we could separate the good teams (Spain, Germany, Italy, England etc.), let them play their own tournament, but we can also let the smaller, weaker teams like e.g. San Marino play so that they have at least a somewhat realistic chance of getting to the World Cup. Also, there would be football every year in the summer which would certainly be nice to watch.

9. deansaliba

deansaliba Member

I think it is a lose-lose situation, so just keep it as it is.

10. Fancy

Fancy Member

Having a competition or at least more regular matches, between the weaker teams in UEFA is not necessarily a bad idea. It might give some of the smaller teams more of an opportunity to win, and gain some confidence in the process. However, that should be as well as, not at the expense of, playing the elite teams in Europe. San Marino and the other small nations have every right­ to play in the World Cup. If we stand to stop them, where­ would you draw the line? If only the teams that could­ realistically win it would be included, there would only be­ about 5 to 6 teams in the world cup.

11. cole_stanley

cole_stanley Member

This would take forever to do. Soon as the cup was off the field, they'd start finishing up the qualifying rounds for next years'.

12. alexqueiros

alexqueiros Member

A pre-qualifying isn't a bad idea, but it would really take a long time to complete everything. I'm not seeing clubs being in favour of the idea.

13. krismania

krismania Member

Every country deserves to have a football team and get some entertainment from watching them, no matter how powerless they are. There have even been cases in which the outsiders have won over the favourites.