Sunderland sack O'Neil

Creaky

Admin
It appears that Sunderland have sacked Martin O'Neil tonight.

Is this the right decision?

Who do you think will replace him?

deansaliba

I think it was a mistake, but the thought of relegation panics many clubs into changing managers, but they only have a handful of games to go, I don't think it gives a new manager enough time. Apparently Di Canio is a firm favourite to take the helm,

alfpt

Only time will tell if it was the right decision, but I like Martin O'Neill. I don't know who will replace him, but I think DI Canio would be agood option, he would certainly boost the team moral they much need to start playing good football so they can stay up, which I hope they do.

Creaky

Admin
Read they are hoping to have a new manager in place by Monday, all seems a bit pre-organised.

alexqueiros

Di Canio is a good choice, as long as he can control himself and people let go of the fact that he is a fascist.

deansaliba

Looks like things have started with a bang, the Vice Chairman has resigned in protest of him being given the job because he couldn't tell the different between a fascist and a racist.

seeya555

Di Canio is certainly a fairly interesting choice when you consider his past statements and actions. An immediate reaction of course was the resignation of Vice chairman David Miliband, but I am really interested in the reaction of the fans and also whether Di Canio can actually help the team.

midfieldDynamo

Regardless of his managerial capabilities, nobody seemed bothered that he was a 'facist' when he was boss of league one Swindon but now he's in charge of premier league Sunderland, it seems to be headline news. Symptomatic of the hype surrounding the prem being stoked by a desperate media?

Creaky

Admin
He's certainly made his mark, waiting to see what actually happens on the pitch this weekend.

midfieldDynamo

Creaky said:
He's certainly made his mark, waiting to see what actually happens on the pitch this weekend.
Yeah, will probably be a bit of an anticlimax after all the political posturing. May be interesting to see how the Chelsea fans greet him knowing their somewhat dubious connections to far-right groups.

deansaliba

Not exactly an easy start for him is it? He will certainly get something out of the players as he is very passionate and demands the same from his players.

bazzie89

One thing for sure with PDC is that it will be a roller coaster ride for the Sunderland supporters. Not sure there are many others openly more passionate about football. Think this one can go either way, Ellis Short will end up looking either a genius or a complete fool over this decision. Can see his thinking though. One good thing, at least it takes him out of the equation for the West Ham position should Big Fat Sam move on. ;)

alexqueiros

It'll be interesting to see what PDC can do. If he takes Sunderland down, he'll be credited with the failure of the whole season. The fans will quickly forget O'Neill either way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.